Thursday 4 January 2024

January 4th (Leybourne)

A nice drake Goldeneye and Red head Goosander were both seen on the small Alders lake this morning.The Goosander was probably the same bird that was found by Glenn yesterday on Brookland,as I could not see one there earlier.

Another year starts with very poor numbers of wildfowl present on the lakes.There were higher numbers at the end of last year in late October and November.I could only find two Pochard this morning for instance.A Firecrest was seen last week in the Country Park and Siskins have been present in reasonable numbers,twenty in one flock in the Alders at Brookland,Redpolls remain scarce.Along the river both singles of Green Sand and Common have been seen,along with two Redshank and one returning Shelduck.Teal number at least sixty.






1 comment:

  1. Hi Alan , I have noticed the demise of these birds as well. I thought it was me unable to walk to find them. In fact I no longer have birds visiting my garden, which is unbelievable where I live on the edge of woodland.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete