Wednesday 25 February 2009

1330-1530,weather cloudy but mild with very little wind.Went over to Burham to look at the marsh.A few days before I had looked across the river from Holborough and seen sheep in the marsh there (big meadow),where before there had always been cattle.I thought the marsh must have become dryer than when I had known it in the 1980s and 90s.I`m pleased to report it looked much the same with all the water flashes in much the same areas and just as big.Only thing was there were fewer birds about for this time of the year:Shelduck 12,Teal 50,Mallard 2,Gadwall 5,Moorhen 10,Heron 2,Crow 12,Jackdaw 6 and Magpie 4.I had also gone to see if I could find any Bearded Tits but sorry to say none were seen or heard but this has become the norm over the past ten years or more.I did however hear 2 Water rail,1 Wren and 1 Cetti`s calling from deep in the reed-bed.I was pleased to see at least 10 Reed Buntings a bird which is now very scarce in the lakes area.Other birds recorded were:lapwing 35,1 Redshank,1 Cormorant,2 Jays,Great and Blue Tits,Goldfinch 6 ,Chaffinch 10,Greenfinch15,Blackbird 2,Robin 1,Woodpigeon 250,Starling 6,Herring Gulls,1 adult Med Gulls,which flew over towards Holborough with a flock of B H Gulls and 2 Linnet a bird which is hard to find now.

No comments:

Post a Comment