Wednesday 4 February 2009

East Malling and Waxwings.

Nice day,clear and sunny,but below freezing first thing.Between o900-1030 saw me at East Malling (orchard behind the church).One Waxwing seen immediately on the top branch of the tallest tree,4 more located feeding on fallen apples.About ten minutes later a flock of between 15-20 birds flew off in the direction of the railway.I then walked along the path and over the railway in the hope of connecting with them again,but no luck.I did however see a Goldcrest in one of the conifer trees along the path.On my return 2-4 were then present on and off.Other birds present were,1 Green Woodpecker,50+Fieldfare,with smaller numbers of Redwing,Blackbirds and Brambling (one of which was in breeding dress).

I saw my first Waxwings at East Malling (Rocks road) during the winter of 1964/65,up to 12 were present in the area from December 25th,into February.They were seen to feed on Hawthorn berries,Crab apples,Poplar buds and Rose hips.

No comments:

Post a Comment