Tuesday 15 September 2009

New Hythe,September 15th.

Weather,rain on and off all day,northeast.
I had a look in at New Hythe between 745am-845am.I parked again by the sewage works entrance.I had only walked halfway along the path before the bridge and a large dark raptor came floating over from the direction of the Stream Side lake.I ran a little further along the path and got my bins onto it just as it was flying low over the wader scrape.I was hoping it would stay a while but unfortunately it carried on flying in a westwards direction.As soon as I saw it through my bins and noticed it had a pale head I knew it could only be a Marsh Harrier.I then looked in on Abbey Mead,the Wigeon now numbered 16,along with 4 Gadwall,2 Shoveler and a pair of Pochard.On the way back I walked through the east scrub just in time to see the foraging flock passing through - 20 Blue Tit,9 L T Tit,6 Great Tit,5 Chaffinch and 2 Chiffs,the Goldfinch flock numbered about 25.Two very flighty Song Thrush were also about.

I went back in the afternoon to look at Abbey Mead again,this time I had a complete count of all birds present - Coot 109,Moorhen 5,Mallard 10,Gadwall 5,Wigeon now 22, Tufted Duck 72,Canada Goose 28,Shoveler 2,Pochard 2,G C Grebe 3 and Little Grebe 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment