Friday 18 December 2009

The snow which was forecast duly arrived overnight,some four to six inches.I gave the roads time to clear a bit and ventured down to the lakes about mid-day for a quick visit.By that time a thaw had set in but it was very short lasting once a light cloud covering arrived.I parked by the water treatment entrance and made my way across to Abbey Mead lake.Looking over the lakes I past on the way not much had changed.However on arrival at Abbey Mead I was surprised to see 30+ Teal there,I have seen Teal on the lake before but I believe 30 is probably the most I have seen there.Wigeon were also back,2 drakes and 1 duck and Pochard now numbered 25 (18 on the 16th).On my way round the lake I could hear Bullfinch calling,possibly 6+ birds and over the mound at Brookland lake 2 Sparrowhawk circled.The sunken marsh held small numbers of Feldfare,Redwing and 3 Lesser Redpoll.More snow is forecast so it will be interesting to see what turns up over the weekend.

On my visit to Abbey Mead I saw only one set of foot prints and at the time I thought they quite possibly belonged to Phil.I have just looked at his Blog so now I know for sure.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alan.
    Nice that you managed to ge out for a while. Have a good weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan
    I'm surprised I didn't bump in to you! By the way I looked for the goldeneye at alders on the 15th and couldn't find it.
    Phil

    ReplyDelete