Wednesday 1 December 2010

Heavy overnight snow covering,dull,cold and with occasional sleet showers.8.30am-10.30am
I walked to the lakes this morning and found not a lot had changed from my last visit.I did however have my first sighting this winter of the Bittern at the streamside lake.It performed its usual trick by jumping out of the reeds when you least expect it and then flying a short distance before dropping back down again.The drake Wigeon was seen but this time on the railway lake.Both the Slav Grebe and Goldeneye were seen in their usual locations.A CURLEW was sighted as it passed over heading in a northwesterly direction and a Grey Wagtail and two Common Snipe were flushed from around the banks of Brookland lake.

Eight female and two male Chaffinch were feeding in the garden today which is the most I have seen.

3 comments:

  1. Great stuff Alan. Glad you got to see the Bittern. I've never had Curlew down there so i'd better try and get down again tomorrow and see if anything else has turned up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phil,I also thought I heard a Golden Plover going over but couldn`t be sure,nice Slav pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alan.
    Well done on struggling to get to the lakes today. It was worth it to see the Bittern, and Curlew. Nice photo's

    ReplyDelete