Monday 13 December 2010

While I was showing Phil Sharp a Bittern I had just found in the NE corner of Abbey Mead,Phil noticed what he thought was a second bird fly into a patch of reeds further along the lake.Excited about the possibility of there being two Bitterns,to gain a better view we moved round the lake a little until we were opposite to where the bird had flown in.After a little searching there it was our second Bittern.After we took a few record shots of the bird we both went our separate ways.Phil walked back along the edge of the lake while I took a shorter route back across a small stream.We then both met up again in the Brookland car park.It was there that Phil told me he had seen and photographed a third Bittern only shortly after we had parted company.It was in a patch of reed just below him and only a few feet away.He managed to take a few photographs before it flew off.I look forward to seeing these when his Blog is published a little later on.

Other birds of note that I saw were (1) Sparrowhawk (2) Water Rail (2) Bullfinch (1) Chiffchaff and (1) Cetti`s Warbler.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alan.
    Well done with the Bitterns today. I shall have to go to Abbeymede to look for the Bittern's. Might see you down there sometime

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alan. Good to see you yesterday. Glad to see you got Bittern number two in the viewfinder OK, wasn't easy was it and your effort turned out better, I had to put a signpost on mine.

    ReplyDelete