Wednesday 23 March 2011

Instead of walking around New Hythe this morning,I decided to look in on Holborough marsh.I`m pleased that I did because I saw something that I havn`t seen in the area for quite a few years,displaying Lapwing (two pairs).

Up until the mid 1980s,when grazing was the norm on the marsh,Lapwing were regular breeding birds.They nested there again for a few years towards the end of the 1990s,when the KTNC first took over the management of the marsh,but since that time its been a constant battle to maintain the right conditions that wading birds like.This year,so far,its looking good but whether this can be maintained up until the birds actually start to nest is another thing.

Other birds that I noted were 20 Teal,2 Mallard and 1 Snipe in the northern meadow(scrape),2 Oystercatcher and 4 Shelduck along the river,1 calling Cetti`s Warbler and 4 Reed Bunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment