Tuesday 19 April 2011

Remaining warm and sunny 8.am-10.00.
I walked out from Brookland,round the sunken marsh,over the railway and back down the millstream path.I noted 2 Shelduck,6 Mallard,1 Teal,5 Canada Geese,3 Great Black-backed Gulls,20 Black-headed Gulls and 4 Heron along the river,2 Common Whitethroats,2 Chiffchaff,2 Bullfinch,8 Reed Warblers,3 Cetti`s Warblers,2 Reed Buntings,2 Goldfinch,4 Greenfinch and 1 Water Rail in the sunken marsh and my first LESSER WHITETHROAT of the year at the southern end of Abbey Mead.
I had a total of 15 Nightingales and 10 Common Whitethroats,1 Cuckoo was heard.

Phil and Terry visited the sunken marsh later during the morning and saw two good birds,a Marsh Harrier and a Hoopoe.The Hoopoe is the third record for the area,myself and Bob Bland saw one at Abbey Meads on May 19th 1980 and one bird was seen at Leybourne on July 30th-31st 1979.

No comments:

Post a Comment