Wednesday 3 October 2012

I had a quick look at the river and Sunken marsh between 1215 - 1315.
One of the first birds I saw as I came out from under the bridge was a Hobby,which was being mobbed by two Black-headed Gulls and a little later as I neared the Sunken marsh,a lone Dove sitting on the overhead wires turned out to be a Turtle ( perhaps a little late to be still in the area).Seeing as the river was high,I didn`t expect to see much,but a Redshank which flew up from the bank was the first I have seen in the area since about March.Five Stock also flew over the river from the area of Eccles island.Apart from one Cetti`s Warbler which called from deep within the marsh,the only other Warblers I came across were two Chiffchaff along the edge of Brookland Lake,which held just twenty Tufted Duck,a few Coot and two Mute Swans.

If I had walked round to the east scrub,which I usually do,I might have seen the Wryneck that Terry Laws found there.The last one that I saw in the area was over forty years ago,they were still nesting then just across the river at Eccles.

No comments:

Post a Comment