Thursday 2 August 2018

August 2nd (Oare Marsh)

Clear and very warm (10:30 - 11:45)

Jeanette and I met up with Ann and Bob Bland at Oare marsh this morning.Before moving into Oare itself,for a very nice meal in the Castle Pub.

At the marsh it was nice to catch up with the moulting adult Red-necked Phalarope,which I believe has been present for a week or more.The tide was way out,so the smaller waders were in short supply on the flood,but we did see a young L R Plover.Which was quite close to the road,unlike the Phalarope which stayed way off.



On the 1st,I had another ringing session in the west scrub at New Hythe and was pleasantly surprised when I caught 8 more new Nightingales,2 adults and 6 young birds.The young birds have now lost their body spots (a bird I first caught on the 9th of July with body spotting) had moulted out all of them save for one small spot on its crown,only eight days later when it was re-trapped.One of the adult birds I caught had completed its full post breeding moult and the other bird was almost there,primary two (outer) was at stage four.

No comments:

Post a Comment