Tuesday 14 March 2023

March 14th-18th (CATCH UP)

 








On March 7th,along the river there were 5 Oystercatchers,1 Green sandpiper,8 Gadwall ,50+ Teal and


1 Shelduck.The Heronry on Eccles island had 13 occupied nests.

A Little Ringed Plover along the river and a nice drake Goldeneye on Brookland were found on the 11th.The L R P goes down as the earliest spring date for this species (recording area).The Goldeneye was still present on the 14th.

A Lesser Black backed Gull was seen on Abbey Meads on the 2nd,with 3 on the 7th.

On the 7th,not far outside the area,10 Yellowhammer were seen feeding in a newly seeded field at the foot of the Downs at Birling.

During the morning of the 18th,a Brent Goose was found on Tesco lake.I have only two more spring records of Brents for the area,both in March.

In the afternoon I came across Glenn,he had just seen a Red Kite passing over east and some Sand Martins high over Abbey Meads.While were were standing talking 6 Common Buzzards came into view and a while later a Sparrowhawk.Two of the Buzzards were local,as they stayed around for a while displaying.Glenn during his walk had also heard good numbers of singing Chiffchaffs.The Goldeneye was still present of Brooklands. 

.


3 comments:

  1. Well done Alan doing what I cannot.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,nice to hear from you.Are you now restricted to just the house or perhaps garden ?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am 85 yrs Alan and sometimes need a bit of help. most of my photography is in the garden but I do have friends. I am going down to Hayling Island in a couple of weeks time and I shall be doing a bit with my cameras then.

      Delete