Thursday 23 March 2023

March 22nd/ 23rd/ 24th/25th/26th (Alpine Swift)











With reports of Alpine Swifts all over the country and in Ireland.On the moring of the 22nd,I went to try my luck at Alders lake,Leybourne.This lake over the years has often turned up early sightings of hirundine.Although I did see a small number of Sand Martin,no Swifts were sighted,

I tried my luck again this morning (23rd) this time at Brooklands lake.Still no Swifts or even a Sand Martin.Then at 08:35 I decided to check my phone to see if any of the regular New Hythe birders had seen anything of interest and blow me,Jerry had reported a Alpine Swift over the Road Island lake at 08:30.It must have taken me fifteen or twenty minutes to reach the lake.Where I was met by at least twenty other birders all looking skywards.Unbeknown to me it had first been reported yesterday,during the evening going to roost on the housing estate on the southern edge of the lakes.All present did eventually see the bird either in the Road Island/Brook House or Tesco lake. area.It was last reported as far as I know over Tesco lake at 16:44,by Glenn Honey during a spell of heavy rain.Hopefully it will still be around tomorrow. 

This is the second record for the area.The first was seen over Castle lake Leybourne on March 27th 2010.

Also today two L R Plover were seen along the river from the Bucket wood. 

The Swift was seen the following day (24th) I watched it between 08:00 and 08:45.It went to roost on one of the houses that edge the southern part of the lakes.

This evening (25th).Before it roosted it gave a fantastic performance at close quarters..

I was back the following morning to watch it leave its roosting site (26th).It left later than usual,probably to to the fact that it was dull and raining.That evening it failed to return,the wind had turned to a northerly.

On morning of the 26th,a nice drake Red crested Pochard was found on Tesco lake.   

1 comment: